Doing the same thing day in day out brings about routine. Whilst a routine is great in generating efficiency, the flip side is that it makes us lose lateral thinking or what I call joining the strategic dots.
From time to time it’s helpful to simply put a bit of emotional distance between the daily needs of the business and our functional role in order to get some
blue-sky thinking going.
What this does is that it helps generate the links in joining the dots between strategy and tactics to result.
As T.S; Elliot said,” Every moment is a fresh beginning”.
In our present day world of information overload, constant connectivity and erratic business and economic climate, the times can be quite overwhelming. More so the need to have some off or down-time to have clarity of thought and come back with a fresh beginning.
Whether we are running our own business or we are a corporate manager the commonality is ensuring success in our strategy and daily tactics in business.
In this process you need to continually review your operations strategically and refresh your business strategy.
Here’s 5 ways to give your business that fresh beginning.
- REVIEW: Undertake a simple review of how the business operations are performing against plans. Are the specific activities bringing the desired results or not?
- EXPLORE: The areas of operations that are not delivering results, look at process, strategy and tactics initiated. Is something missing? Would you do something differently? Explore other solutions that may not seem to be the norm, but probably could have significant impact in a longer term.
- NEGOTIATE: In any organization, often times, there is a conflict between the strategic direction and the necessary tactics required. Having reviewed and explored options that may be more effective, you would have to present a probable solution tactfully. You’d have to influence your senior team in order to ensure their compliance so as to be able to deliver on the solution.
- EXECUTE: A strategy is as good as its execution. Sometimes, the best plans fail due to bad execution. So when executing a new solution, keep a close eye on the input and reactions and be adept and flexible enough to react and change as you and your team carry out the execution.
- WIN: Finally, get ready to win and enjoy the success that comes in. Throughout the process, it’s crucial that you keep a positive attitude that communicates confidence to your team and your clients/customers. Such positivity would rub off during negotiation and execution and bring you achievement of your targeted plans.
I’d be delighted to know how helpful you found this post for your work. Do share your comments and tips.