The global economic scenario has led to businesses having to re-evaluate their processes and methodologies of work in order to achieve growth. Markets have changed, bringing about new opportunities and along with it new threats. Consumers buying behaviour has changed thanks to the rising use of social media. Operating in a globalized manner is now more of a need than being able to meet revenue projections from one’s domestic markets.
Traditional product marketing is near about dead. Comparative advantage through product or service specialisations’ no longer hold applicable. Business development is more skewed towards collaborative partnerships. Achieving short-term financial results whilst keeping the focus on long-term goals has become a major juggling act.
In this scenario, for a business to achieve stability & planned success, it is critical to identify leaders that are capable of motivating and driving their teams to deliver the business needs.
Without effective leadership a business is like a driverless bus. At any point in time it can go off the roads!
So is leadership everyone’s cup of tea? Every business has a head. Be it a profit center or a group of profit centers. Without leadership there is no direction, no discipline and no objective.
“All managers are not leaders and all leaders are not managers.”
All businesses have leaders & managers. But some lead better than others and are looked up to by their teams. And some managers, manage better than others and are preferred as operational bosses.
So as a business head how can you lead, effectively, from the front?
There are eight major leadership theories that are used to classify leadership characteristics. Whilst the theories provide a background on leadership type and style, here are three tips on how you, as a business unit head, can lead effectively from the front:
- Provide an environment in which they are happy and feel valued. You have to remember people are emotionally driven, first and rationally driven later. When they are comfortable and feel valued they will be more productive, creative, and innovative.
- Show the versatility & emotional intelligence required of a leader. By understanding your people’s behavioural style you will be making them comfortable and you will get better results and higher performance.
- You can’t do it alone—most importantly, as a leader; you have to know that you can’t do the task alone. It’s not about you but about the people you are leading. As a leader your objective should be how you can make them successful. People are your primary concern, not secondary.
- The Art Of Leadership: Become A More Effective Leader In 3 Steps (forbes.com)
- Is Your Leadership Showing? (tonyalvarez.wordpress.com)
- On the Front Lines of Leadership (inc.com)